Sunday, July 28, 2024

And... it's hot again

I know, I know, it's July, it's supposed to be hot. But this summer just won't quit! And there's a lot of it left, although... hmm, not as much as you -- or I -- might think. Thursday is the 1st of August and the twins are scheduled for their back to school haircuts that day. I was so pleased with myself for snagging those appointments way ahead of time, since our stylist is always busy and booked up. But because life is like that, I was recently beginning to think they weren't going to need them, after all -- their hair didn't seem long enough to cut. But now I've decided that Teen A really does need a haircut -- his hair is always standing on end -- and it won't hurt Teen B to get one (his hair doesn't stand on end, different texture, but he's looking shaggy). This means that they'll have their school pictures taken with nice hair! That never happens. Most years we get haircuts a week after school starts, or later.

Yes, school pictures are around the corner. Let's see, Picture Day and check-in for the twins is August 13th, in a little more than two weeks, and then school starts on August 15th. That's in 18 days! Two and a half weeks! Rocket Boy shows up on August 17th, Back to School Night is August 19th, and I leave on my little baseball weekend August 23rd. And after I get back, there's less than a week left of August. Crazy. That month is going to fly by.

July has not flown by, July has dragged on and on. We have a few days left and they are going to be hot. 94 today, 96 tomorrow, 98 on Tuesday, etc. I hate hot weather. I look out at our dry, weedy backyard and I just feel hopeless. Warm weather is fine, but hot hot hot I don't like. Does anybody? I actually used to like it better, when I was young and living in Ann Arbor. I looked forward to the hot humid summers all through the long dreary winters. But I was a lot thinner then, plus I had a/c.

Speaking of thinner, I lost a little more weight this week on Mounjaro.

  • Weight the day after we got home from our trip: 258.8
  • Weight the day I took my first shot (5 days later): 254.6
  • Weight last Sunday: 247.8
  • Weight this morning (after 6+ weeks on Mounjaro): 246.4

All week long the scale said 247 this, 247 that, and then this morning 246.4. I got on and off it a few times to be sure, but it seemed to be the right result. So, OK. Still enormous, still losing very slowly, but the weight is very slowly coming off. I was surprised too because the side effects are lessening a little, so I thought the weight-loss effect probably was too. I'm eating a little more, although not very much more. Yesterday I suddenly remembered I hadn't had any lunch (around 2 pm), so I had some leftovers. Then I didn't want dinner, just had a Boost drink (I got Subway for the twins). That's probably why I weighed less this morning, although I did have some Wheat Thins and milk around 10 pm because I'd forgotten to take my pills and I need to take them with food. Oh, who knows. I have one more shot of 2.5 mg, and then I will have to go up to 5 mg.

Teen B finished his online summer school PE class last week. We had a really hard time the last couple of days because all of a sudden our air got smoky, from the terrible forest fire in Canada that has practically destroyed the town of Jasper. Our air was really nasty for a few days, and it was air that I should not have been walking in -- fat, elderly me with breathing issues. But Teen B needed a few more miles, so we walked. We beat the requirement by maybe 2/10ths of a mile, lol. And he got an A in the class. Really, it's more accurate to say that I got an A in the class, but we did it together, so fine. I didn't let him cheat at all, and I never took a walk without him.

We walked Sunday-Monday-Tuesday-Wednesday, and then I took Thursday off, but I walked Friday and Saturday (on my own, boo hoo). I noticed that I walk a little faster without him. Together we would take 22-24 minutes to walk a mile, but on my own I do it in 21 minutes. That's still not very fast, but you'd think I'd go faster with a young, skinny companion. Nope. Said young skinny companion was usually looking at his phone, trudging along behind me in his flip flops, and I would have to stop and wait for him. Still, I miss his company, if you can call it that. We would discuss things we saw along the way. Me: "Oh, look, a rabbit. Hello, rabbit!" Teen B: "Stupid rabbit, I hope it dies." Without Teen B along, I worry a little about saying hello to rabbits -- people may think I am insane. (So I say hello very softly.)

The book group comes tomorrow and I am more than a little worried about the heat. I warned them, but they said it was fine. They both have a/c, though, so I think our hot house will be a bit of a shock. I thought our front lawn would also be a shock -- it was solid brown except for some green weeds -- so we watered it a few times this week and it has greened up a little. I told Teen A we could even mow it today or tomorrow, but he's not convinced.

I also need to be sure we have plenty of ice to go with the beverages that I haven't bought yet. Which reminds me...

OK, I cleaned the ice cube trays and put fresh water in for ice. So that's done. I still have a lot to do to get ready -- haven't vacuumed yet, or finished decluttering the living room. The tablecloth in the dining room is horribly dirty, must sponge that off or put a new one on the table. Mounjaro, although its side effects are less, is still making me really lethargic. It's very hard to get myself to do housework. Of course, the heat might have something to do with that too...

My mind isn't lethargic, though -- that's the funny thing. I have a lot of mental energy going right now. I'm reading, of course, but I'm also writing and this week I was doing a lot of genealogy, putting stuff onto my Google drive so that I can share it with people. Everything I put up there has holes in it, which makes me go looking for the information to fill the holes. Someday -- maybe after the twins go back to school, I will pay for a month of Ancestry.com, just to fill in more holes. Ancestry is expensive, but they have all the good stuff, or so I am told.

OK, this is probably enough blogging for today. I need to get busy. Very slowly busy, that is. The house is fairly cool right now (74 in the hallway, 92 on the front porch), but I've noticed that if I exert myself at all, I get hot and sweaty. So I must vacuum very slowly, wipe off the tablecloth very slowly, declutter very slowly. I should be able to do that, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment