Sunday, March 14, 2021

March is a good (though snowy) month

I started this post last weekend, like normal, but then there were so many things to do that it didn't get done. Rocket Boy is home for a three-week visit, and so of course that complicates everything, but I started feeling better emotionally as soon as he walked through the front door. His car alarm had been going off at random intervals for a few days (including the night he spent in a hotel in Kansas), and it went off twice his first night home -- at 12:30 and 4:45 am. We had gone to bed at 11 pm and I thought I would have some trouble going back to sleep both times, but I didn't. Normally (this would include the two nights before he got here), if I wake up in the night, I stay awake, because I use the time to worry about things. My mind seems to find this much more important than sleeping. This time, especially after the 4:45 alarm, I tried worrying a little, as an experiment. Nope, my mind wasn't interested. I rolled over and went right back to sleep.

It makes a big difference, having someone to share the worries with.

Of course, after he'd been here a few days I started having sleep problems again, but I think that's due to the metformin. I went up to 4 pills a day this past Wednesday, didn't sleep well either Wednesday or Thursday nights, and Friday night started having pretty amazing stomach problems -- like, wow, that was all inside me? It's so weird that we have these lovely bodies that can be so attractive to each other, but on the inside there's, hmm. I mean, like, wow. Yesterday (Saturday) I decided to go back down to three pills, and I took two in the morning and one at night, and although I had a lot of nausea, I slept better. Today my stomach is kind of thinking about things: shall we settle down or shall we put on another show like Friday and Saturday? There's some suspicious cramping.

At least I don't have anywhere to go, since we're having a blizzard. Our giant storm didn't do too much yesterday, but when we woke up this morning -- hmm, yeah, that's a pretty serious snowstorm all right. The angel with the snowblower came by earlier (you can see his work in the first photo up top), but the walks filled back up again soon after. Rocket Boy shoveled them again and they're full again once more. I shoveled the driveway down to the sidewalk so I could have a look for the paper -- I didn't really think it had been delivered, but you never know, our paperboy (paperman?) is very reliable. I poked around in the snow where it usually is, but no sign of green plastic. 

It's supposed to snow all day and into the night, but then stop. I feel as though we got cheated, because it didn't start until pretty late Saturday. I wanted to spend the whole weekend being snowbound. But one full day is good too. I wish I could have stayed in bed, but there are many chores to do: laundry and cleaning and those darn taxes that won't do themselves. Rocket Boy wanted to get the kids to go out sledding or snowshoeing, but the best we've been able to do so far is to get them out to mess around in the front yard. And they wore their winter coats! For the first time all year, okay, maybe second. They both have shorts on under their long pants, so they can still say they're wearing shorts. Silly boos. Silly teens.

The snow is pretty ridiculous, but decent for snowballs, heavy and wet. Not so great for snowpeople, though, too deep. I was out there taking pictures in my pajama pants, t-shirt, and a sweater. Oh, and slip-on shoes. I don't usually get too cold, lots of internal padding, but the wind was chilly. It felt good to come back in.

Last week was a hard week, even with RB here. Monday we had Kid A's recertification meeting for his IEP. It was a good meeting, very positive, but the bottom line is that he's still reading/writing far below grade level. How do you survive in this world if you can't read and write? So that meeting took me down, as it always does, even though everyone was very cheerful and upbeat.

Tuesday was their birthday, which I usually get ridiculously stressed out about, but it was pretty low-key and pleasant this time. It was a school day, of course, an at-home day, so they worked along on their classes while I worked along on party prep. I hung banners around the living room, blew up balloons and distributed them (I hung a pink one next to Rocket Boy at his desk), went to the grocery store and bought a chocolate caramel cake for Kid B and a dozen cupcakes for Kid A, and wrapped gifts and arranged them in the living room. When school ended (at 3:44 pm), they opened cards and gifts and we had cake and cupcakes. Dinner was leftover pizza -- which reminds me, we still owe both of them a special dinner -- and later Dad fixed berries with cream for those who still had an appetite (not me).

And now they are teenagers. I will, therefore, begin referring to them in this blog as Teen A and Teen B. This will remind me that they have reached a milestone in maturity, since there are few other indications of it.

It blows me away that if we were Jewish -- as opposed to just culturally appropriating Hanukkah every year -- they would now be considered adults. People used to grow up faster. It also blows me away that in five years they will be legal adults in American society. And in three years they'll be able to get a driver's license. Time is going by very quickly, and yet they still seem so young.

Thursday we had an online meeting with the people at CU to discuss the results of Teen B's testing. That was more positive in some ways -- he tested in the "normal" range for many things, whatever "normal" means. But we still have to find a way to cope with the struggles he does have. I'm thinking tutors? I'm feeling overwhelmed.

And then I spent Friday being sick and Saturday feeling a little better but not great. Today I'm feeling mostly good. But there's the time change to deal with. Having the time change on an intensely snowy day is interesting. You can't really tell what time it is by the sun, so the new time on the clocks seems reasonable instead of terribly late. 

I wish it would snow and snow and snow, for several more days. But it's supposed to stop tonight. And I have an eye appointment on Tuesday, so it would be good if we were dug out by then. I'm really tired of these broken glasses! Also, Wednesday night I have to take my car in to get its headlights replaced. And then there's spring break the next week, which I hope is not super snowy. It is going to take forever for all this snow to melt, and it hasn't stopped snowing yet (it's now 2:45 pm, new time, and the snow seems to be coming down even more heavily). So yeah, it would be good if it didn't snow forever. But I still kind of wish it would.

No comments:

Post a Comment