Sunday, September 8, 2024

Things are happening

Oh my goodness, things are happening. Rocket Boy is at this moment driving home -- not permanently, but with his first load of stuff. He decided he wouldn't be able to bring it all at once, so he is making two trips. Yesterday when I talked to him he was packing, and I urged him to leave that day, maybe get 200 miles under his belt, stay overnight near Kansas City, whatever. I don't know what he ended up doing, because we missed his calls when we were out to dinner, and when I called him back later he didn't answer. So he might have been calling to tell me he hadn't left yet! But I'm sure he's on the road now and we'll hear from him tonight.

Knowing he would be home next week kind of threw a monkey wrench into my plans for the month, but it's OK. I didn't feel well enough to do much of anything this past week. On ONE day I did what I'd planned -- Monday, before I took my shot. I spent 15 minutes cleaning up the area around the entryway and put away my suitcase. That's it. I did my normal stuff throughout the week: dishes and laundry and shopping and cooking (some cooking, anyway). But I couldn't seem to do anything else. This drug, Mounjaro, is not my friend.

In addition, I didn't lose weight this week, I gained! True, I think it had to do with a little constipation problem I've been having (which may be solved now, I'll skip the details).

  • Weight the morning I took my first shot: 254.6
  • Weight last week: 239
  • Weight this morning (after 12+ weeks on Mounjaro): 241.4
So instead of 15.6 lbs, I'm only 13.2 lbs down in a little over 12 weeks. If I were on Weight Watchers, this would have been very upsetting. But because I'm on Mounjaro, it's kind of like, oh well, I'll be down again next week. I liked being in the 230s (and I was for most of the week, just this little blip up today), but I like the low 240s too. Much better than 261.2, which is what I weighed on May 12th.

Plus, to be honest, Mounjaro is my friend. I got bloodwork done this week in preparation for seeing my doctor tomorrow. My A1c went from 7.7 to 6.7! That is a really good drop. I'd like it to go down further, maybe to 5.7, but it might, if I keep this up. So I guess I will keep taking Mounjaro. But I really don't enjoy this drug. 

I am interested to see what my blood pressure is tomorrow at my appointment. If it's down, I might mention the possibility of dropping my blood pressure med. Not that it bothers me. I looked at some lists of common side effects of Losartan and I don't think I have any of them. It's a low-key drug. It's just the idea of losing a med that is appealing. My total cholesterol is down to 111, but I've already brought up the idea of dropping Rosuvastatin and my doc said no, because it also helps prevent stroke in diabetics.

I just feel like I take so many pills! 

Every morning I take:

  • 2 Metformin
  • 1 5mg Rosuvastatin
  • 1 CoQ10, to lessen the muscle pain side effects of the Rosuvastatin (not that I've ever noticed any)
  • 1 Vitamin B complex OR 1 Vitamin D (I alternate -- the B complex is for my hair and the D is for all the things D is good for, not that I've ever been low in D, but you know...)

Every evening I take:

  • 2 Metformin
  • 1 50mg Losartan
  • 1 10mg Loratadine (generic Claritin)
  • 1 400mg Citracal petite

In other words, of my 10 daily pills, 4 are Metformin, which I still need, 2 are optional but I don't really want to drop them (the vitamins, the CoQ10), 1 is fairly necessary (the allergy med), 1 is a good idea and I probably should take more (the calcium), 1 is a med I've been told I can't drop (the Rosuvastatin), and just 1 is a med I might someday be able to drop (the Losartan).

So, you know, probably I'm going to go on taking all 10 of these, unless I can get my blood pressure down far enough to drop the Losartan -- and it won't be tomorrow.

I guess when you're old you just take pills.

***

There's a chance Rocket Boy might show up late today, but I think it's a remote one. Much more likely we'll see him tomorrow, possibly tomorrow night. Still, just in case, I'm trying to do some cleaning today. So far I've spent 15 minutes on the living room and 15 minutes on the kitchen. Still to come: our bedroom, the bathroom, and the desk room. I also need to work on homework with the kids. Sundays are not a day of rest around here, although I do find writing this blog relaxing.

Rocket Boy's 70th birthday is this week, on Thursday. He might start driving back that day, just to spite me, but if he's here we should have some sort of celebration. How do you throw a party for someone who hates birthdays and is absolutely horrified to be turning 70? I'll never forget his 59th birthday, which was the day of the flood. But that's kind of how he views every birthday. After raising the twins to this point, he understands that birthdays can be nice things, and so he's a little more accepting of birthday traditions. But he still doesn't like his birthday, not one bit.

I got him a silly card. I'll get a cake. That's probably all we should do.

***

I guess I don't have much more to write today. Not much happened this week, and we're just in waiting mode, waiting for Rocket Boy to get here. The hummingbirds have been going crazy, drinking sugar water like maniacs. They're getting ready for their flight to southern Mexico, maybe even Guatemala. My understanding is that the guys at the feeder now may not have spent the summer here -- they may have been up in Wyoming or Idaho, and they're on their way south, stopping at my feeder. Meanwhile, I ran out of sugar! I had to make only half a cup of sugar water, because I didn't have a quarter cup of sugar. Teen B and I went to Costco after that and bought, among other things, a 10-pound bag of sugar. It'll probably get me through my Christmas baking.

September is always a month of new beginnings (and endings, with the hummers leaving), but this year it feels truly fraught. Rocket Boy moving home, quitting his job, possibly starting a new one in October (I'll write more about that when it's more sure). It makes me feel happy, but incredibly unsettled.

By next Sunday, Rocket Boy will be back in St. Louis for two more weeks and I'll be trying to figure out how to spend those weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment