Sunday, December 5, 2021

December doings

As I write this, Rocket Boy is still in Boulder, even though the plan was for him to leave today. It occurred to him last night that he still had a lot of things that he wanted to get done, so he stayed an extra day. He'll get on the road tomorrow morning after the kids go to school. Today he has...

  • finished assembling our old tree, 
  • removed the lowest level of branches after it became clear that Baby Kitty was going to remove them for us if we didn't do it first, 
  • put the lights on the tree, 
  • and put lights on the outside of our house. 
  • He also signed all the Christmas cards, which I bought at McGuckin's on Friday (RB was supposed to go with me to pick them out, but he needed to take Teen A to the swim store across the parking lot to get new trunks, so he said whatever I picked out was fine). I also finalized our xmas letter, after weeks of agonizing over it, and he approved it. (I might still tinker with it, but it's basically done.) Tomorrow I can make the copies and start mailing out cards. 

Unless I'm busy being depressed because he's gone back to St. Louis. I always seem to need to do that for a while after he goes. I was feeling like that last night, but then we got an extra day with him, so I'm more chipper tonight.

I feel as though this week went really fast and we didn't get enough done. Rocket Boy worked a lot -- something I absolutely cannot complain about, since that's what's keeping us going -- and I did this and that, laundry and dishes and grocery shopping and helping the kids with their homework. I also read a lot, since I couldn't spend much time on the computer. It makes Rocket Boy antsy if I'm in the desk room when he's working, doing stuff on my computer -- especially if I'm playing computer solitaire, but also if I'm writing emails or even reading The New York Times online. He's gotten used to having his quiet apartment to work in. So I spent a lot of time lying on our bed and reading. It's a hard life, I know.

Yesterday (Saturday, that is), we went to the Boulder Parade of Lights. We always go, if they have one (last year they didn't, of course), but this year was special because Teen B was playing his clarinet in his middle school band. We had to get there early to drop him and Rocket Boy off at 15th & Pearl, and then I had to find a place to park, ending up on the other side of downtown, at 10th & Walnut, because so many streets were blocked off. Teen A and I walked back to 15th & Pearl, then he and RB and I went to Broadway & Pearl to watch the parade, then back to 15th & Pearl to pick up Teen B, then back to 10th & Walnut to get the car. I figure I walked about 20 blocks, total. We were all dreadfully tired when it was over. But such a thrill to watch Teen B marching by.

Of course, I kept wondering whether we should even have gone. There were a LOT of people there, and very few of them were wearing masks. Rocket Boy wore his while we stood and watched the parade, because we were up close and personal with a lot of other people for 40 minutes or so. I kept putting mine on and then pulling it down to expose my nose and mouth. Finally it occurred to me that I should stop worrying and enjoy myself because the omicron variant may chase us all away from gatherings soon enough. Boulder County has had its first case, but I don't think it's widespread yet. A week, two weeks from now, maybe we won't be going anywhere.

Tonight was the last night of Hanukkah and the second Sunday in Advent, so we lighted all our candles. Most years, I stress about whether it's appropriate to light Hanukkah candles when we're not Jewish. This year, for whatever reason, it didn't bother me. As I always say, it's not as though we're trying to approximate Yom Kippur. We're celebrating Judaism. And the kids are so used to observing it now that I can't just stop. They fight over who gets to light the candles, they nag me each night if I forget.

It's odd how early Hanukkah is this year. Next year it's going to be all mixed up with Christmas, but this year there's a wide separation. It feels strange to have it over already. But there are two more Sundays of Advent, and almost three weeks until Christmas. Lots of time left -- or is there?

This coming week I've got to get serious about Christmas. I'll try to get the cards sent out this week, decorate the tree, and do any online shopping I want to do, since otherwise it won't have a chance of arriving in time. Then next week I can do in-person shopping and start baking. What am I forgetting? I'll look over old blog posts to figure out what I do at this time of year.

1. Cards. In good shape there. Need to get the letter photocopied tomorrow and then start addressing envelopes and writing notes on the cards. I'm a little short on stamps, could drop by the post office and get some. I'll try to do 10 cards a day and they'll go quickly and pleasantly.

2. Cookies. I'm going to hold off on these. I'll probably start baking around December 15th or so, maybe later. Plenty of time. I'm gradually collecting ingredients; should make a list of what I'm going to bake.

3. Other Food. At some point I'll need to plan Christmas Eve and Christmas Day dinner. But that's a long way off. The most important thing right now is to serve lots of vegetables for dinner over the next few weeks, to balance out all the holiday treats that have already started sneaking in. No more than one Starbucks visit per week, despite how few chances remain to order a caramel brulee latte.

4. Decorating and cleaning. I'm thrilled that the tree is up and we have lights on the house, but there are several more things to do. I have to put the ornaments on the tree -- this week -- and I also need to tidy the living room, move a lot of junk somewhere else. Teen B has agreed to pack up his Legos that have been on top of a cabinet in the living room for several years now. We'll work on all that this week.

5. Gifts. Even though I'm not planning to spend a lot of money, it's nice to have things to unwrap. I thought I should do some serious thinking about what we actually need. I could buy, I don't know, a sack of rice and put it in a gift bag. Or maybe that's too silly. Anyway, I need to start shopping. This week and next and then I should be all done, because the kids will be out of school.

6. Gifts to the Community. Colorado Gives Day is this Tuesday, so I have to decide who I'm giving money to and set up those donations. Usually we give to the Boulder and Longmont Humane Societies and Teen A's old private school. Last year I also gave to the Park County Humane Society (where our cabin is) and I'll probably do that again. And what else? I think I could choose at least one more charity. Must think. I'm also going to donate during Kwanzaa like I did last year, but I can figure that out later.

7. Music & Events. Ah. Normally I go to every free or low-cost concert I can find. But maybe not this year, even if there are some. Until we know more about what omicron's going to do, I'd like to be cautious. So sad. Update: I just checked and the library isn't even having any concerts, just like last year. So another year with no harp concert. I hate this virus. However, there is a play at the kids' school and we'll go to that. I need to sign up for it on HelpatSchool.

8. Travel. Well, we need to figure out when Rocket Boy is coming back and make him a reservation. I think he's going to fly, not drive, since he drove out for Thanksgiving. (Or he could take the train.) Then we need to figure out whether we're doing any traveling after Christmas. We were going to go to Tucson for a few days, but that isn't looking so likely now. I tried to find flights and there was just nothing. So unless a lot of people decide to cancel due to omicron -- and if people are doing that, would we really want to travel? -- we probably aren't going to Tucson. 

9. Staying Healthy. Always important, but especially so during the pandemic. I need to resume my daily walks, which have gotten all mixed up while Rocket Boy's been here. I need to go to bed early and get plenty of rest. I'm getting my booster shot on Friday, but I still haven't gotten a flu shot -- really should figure out how to do that. 

10. Reading. I need to read my last book for the Classics Challenge this week. Then I can read whatever I want to finish out the year. The book group isn't meeting until January, but I should buy the book (The Soul of an Octopus by Sy Montgomery).

It all sounds totally do-able. A week from now, or especially two weeks from now, I may be more stressed. But right now it all sounds fun.

I just wish Rocket Boy didn't have to go back to St. Louis and could stay here until January.

No comments:

Post a Comment