Sunday, August 2, 2020

August 2020, aka March April May June July revisited

OK, I'm starting off cranky, with a cranky title. But seriously. One week ago when I wrote a post, the US death total from the coronavirus stood at 146,747. And today it is 155,184. That's 8,437 deaths in one week, about 1200 a day. I try to take comfort in the fact that the number of cases per day is 5% less than two weeks ago, and it's true that the map of cases looks better. But that's just because it was so horrible before. And more and more people keep losing their jobs, businesses keep closing, and around the world people are dying of famine, not just the virus.

I've been looking at the world map of cases too. The US has an average of 62,581 cases per day (19 per 100,000 people), while Canada has 435 (1.2 per 100,000). Way to go, Canada. But then here's Yemen with 8 cases per day. Obviously not true -- they just have no testing, no reporting, and no healthcare. No food. Russia claims only 5,508 cases per day (3.8 per 100,000). Unlikely. And then all the countries in Africa. So what are the real totals? I understand now why the death total from the 1918-20 Spanish Flu was "somewhere between 17 million and 50 million." If we have such unrealistic numbers today, in the age of data, how could they have had any idea back then?

And once school starts, with all the schools and colleges planning to offer in-person learning, the case loads in the US will rise again. This will definitely be true in Boulder County, when CU reopens. We're averaging 15-20 cases per day right now, but that will go up. The kids were originally scheduled to start school in 2.5 weeks, but now it's been pushed to 3 weeks or more (I'm not sure exactly which day they start). I'm still looking forward to it. Just imagine -- twice a week, a several-hour stretch of time where I'm the only one in the house. Quite amazing. Is it worth the risk of being exposed to the virus? Probably not (maybe).

Rocket Boy (seen here on Skype) is going to come visit us again, possibly next weekend. (He's not sure exactly when he'll leave St. Louis, and since he's driving, he has some flexibility.) Our 18th anniversary is next Monday, the 10th, so he wants to be here for that, and he thinks he'll probably stay about two weeks, until the twins go back to school. So that'll be nice. His office still hasn't opened up, so he spent the month of July in St. Louis for no particular reason. But he accomplished some things, including buying a new used car. So that was good.

The kids and I, on the other hand, have been lazy and slothful. We didn't do anything or go anywhere. But we also didn't cause trouble for anyone, as far as I know. That's how I judge my worth these days. And actually, the twins did do Lexia three times a week all month long. Kid A lost access to it as of yesterday, so now we're going to take a two or three week break, even though Kid B can still use it. It seems only fair.

It occurred to me that I need to clean the house again before Rocket Boy gets here, so I've made a list of what to tackle this week. This is based on the cleaning system I discovered the last time he came.
  • Monday: clean off surfaces, especially in the kitchen and living room
  • Tuesday: pick up and remove excess stuff on floors
  • Wednesday: clean the bathroom
  • Thursday: sweep & vacuum floors, get ready for trash & compost pickup
  • Friday: clean the fridge and anything else that still looks bad
  • Saturday: wash sheets & towels, change bed linen
I have been totally lazy about cleaning since Rocket Boy left. For example, there are things on the counter next to the sink that he put there to be washed. Also, everything I got for my birthday and all the boxes that contained the stuff I ordered online are still in the living room. I blame it on the heat, which has been oppressive. But now we've had several days in the 80s, not the 90s, and I feel a little more energetic. I'm just itching to clean up this mess.

Well, no, I'm not itching to clean anything, I never am. But I think I can make this look better. Probably even 15 minutes of work would make this look (a lot) better.

Oh, and the other thing I need to do is get a new battery for my car. Big sigh. Yesterday we ordered our usual Saturday night takeout, this time from Chili's, because I wanted to go to Walmart (in the same shopping center) and look at Barbie doll clothes. Kid B went with me, just for a change of pace. But my car didn't want to start. It's a good thing I'm driving all the way out to Chili's/Walmart, I thought, so that the battery can have a chance to recharge. Chili's/Walmart is 9 miles away, with lots of 40-45 mph stretches and few stoplights. Anyway, we made it there, parked in the Walmart lot, and went in to shop, finding a few outfits for my Ken dolls. Back at the car 20 minutes later, it once again didn't want to start and this time it was more serious. I finally got it to start, but then I knew I didn't dare turn it off again. So we drove around the shopping center until our food was ready, then drove over to Chili's and let the car idle until they brought out our food, and then drove straight home, praying all the way.

So I thought I'd get a new battery today -- Sunday, nice quiet day -- even found a good place that was open, but I ended up chickening out and didn't do it. THAT means I have to do it tomorrow. And I really do have to do it, because my book group is meeting tomorrow night, so I need a functioning car to get there. SIGH. Why couldn't this have happened when Rocket Boy was here? I'll probably have to call AAA to jump it so I can drive to the battery place. SIGH. I know, First World problems. It's not that big a deal. SIGH.

To get myself to do this, I should remember how brave I was last week, when I finally went to a podiatrist about my hurting right foot. She diagnosed plantar fasciitis, of course, a bad case, but with the complicating factor of edema in my legs and feet. I didn't realize that edema could make plantar fasciitis worse, but when she explained it to me, it made sense. So she prescribed compression stockings, and I picked up one pair in the pharmacy and have been happily wearing them ever since. The pair I got is a green camouflage print (see photo), really atrociously ugly, but they are so comfortable! My legs and feet love them. I have three more pairs on order, much more discrete and attractive, so that I can wear them in public.

There are more things that I am supposed to be doing -- wearing a splint at night (tried it, can't get it to fit right, something for Rocket Boy to help with), doing exercises, seeing a physical therapist, seeing a regular doctor about the edema. More scary appointments to make, more things to put off. But first I must deal with the car. SIGH.

To end on a more upbeat note, I'll include a photo of my Barbie doll collection, which is getting bigger and bigger thanks to my friend Zhiqun who sent me that dangerous Amazon gift card for my birthday (plus the occasional trip to Target or Walmart). Aren't they lovely, all wearing their sunglasses? From left to right we have (the names are related to the clothes they came in, even though most of them are wearing something else here):
  • #5 Hip Hoodie Ken (original)
  • #30 Pink Pizzazz Barbie (tall, flat feet)
  • #15 Tropical Vibes Ken (slim)
  • #64 Lovin' Leopard Barbie (curvy, flat feet)
  • #39 Emoji Fun Barbie (curvy, pointed feet)
  • #138 Surfer Dude Ken (original)
  • #154 K-pop Ken (slim)
  • Justin Bieber doll
  • #90 Rainbow Bright Barbie (original, flat feet)
  • #81 Wear Your Heart Barbie (petite, pointed feet)
  • #13 Distressed Denim Ken, aka Man Bun Ken (broad)
I am dying to buy more, but also trying NOT to buy more because it is ridiculous. Many adults buy all the Barbie fashionistas, or at least all the ones they like -- the dolls are just so fun right now, with all the different body types and facial features and skin tones and hairstyles. YouTube is full of videos from adult collectors. But that does not mean that I should copy them.

I keep thinking how nice it would be if a little girl came to visit me, maybe 5 or 6 years old, and she could play with my collection. But I don't know a little girl like that, so the little girl that lives inside me will have to suffice for now. It passes the time, and soon my Amazon gift card will be all used up and I can stop, or at least slow down, this nonsense.

Hope everyone has a good week. I will be cleaning, getting a new battery, and you know, the usual.

No comments:

Post a Comment